The two fall major business-to-business marine trade expositions provide special recognition for innovations and product quality by providing a stage for manufacturers and service providers to highlight what they recently introduced or will be bringing to market in the next model year. BWI members serve as judges to help select the most intriguing and useful offerings at these venues.
At the International BoatBuilders’ Exhibition & Conference (IBEX), Innovation Awards were announced in early October. The Awards honor achievement in product development in 13 areas of the marine industry. Alan Wendt and Zuzana Prochazka, co-chairs of the judging effort, noted two of the industry’s biggest growth categories, tow boats and pontoons, were well represented with products to enhance on water enjoyment and manufacturing processes.
This year’s award recipients included:
– Boatbuilding Methods & Materials: Banova, 3A Composites Baltek Inc.
– Deck Equipment & Hardware: Dual Winners – Roswell Marine, Triton Board Rack; T-H Marine Supplies, Snapflex LED Stern Navigation Light
– Furnishings & Interior Parts: Kenyon International Inc., Texan Grill
– Mechanical Systems: Xylem, Rule Bilge Pumps
– Electrical Systems: Mercury Marine, Electronic Steering Helm
– Inboard Engines: Volvo Penta, Easy Drain
– Outboard Engines: Honda Marine, BF6
– Propulsion Parts, Propellers: Mercury Marine, VesselView Mobile App
– Boat Care and Maintenance: Pettit Paint, SeaGold
– OEM Electronics: Dual Winners – Garmin USA, Fantom 6; Wet Sounds Inc., Syn-Dx 6-Dsp.
See a summary of the IBEX innovations in the BWI October newsletter or by visiting NMMA’s website.
The marine electronics industry honored manufacturers with product awards at the annual National Marine Electronics Association (NMEA) International Marine Electronics Conference & Expo, held in September. Top products were named for both the Product of Excellence Awards and the Technology Award. NMEA members select the Product of Excellence Award winners through an on-line voting process. There were 16 product categories this year with recognition going to:
– Autopilot – Garmin GHP Reactor
– Satellite TV Antenna – KVH TracVision TV3
– Multi-Function Display – Garmin GPSMAP 8624
– AIS – Garmin AIS 600
– Radar – Furuno DRS4D-NXT
– NMEA 2000® Sensor – Actisense NGT-1
– Fish Finder – Garmin GSD 26
– Marine App-Aids to Navigation – Garmin BlueChart 2.0
– Marine VHF Radio – Icom IC-M506
– Marine App-Technical – Garmin Helm
– Satellite Communications Antenna – KVH TracPhone V3-IP
– Marine Camera – FLIR M618CS
– Underwater Lights – Lumishore EOS SMX152
– Multimedia Entertainment – Fusion AV750 Marine Stereo System
– Commercial – Furuno FAR2117 IMO Radar
– Safety & Security – ACR GlobalFIX V4 EPIRB
For NMEA’s Technology Award an independent five-person panel of judges including two BWI members selected Furuno’s DRS4D-NXT Doppler solid-state radar from among 10 nominated products. The annual award scores new products based on innovation, benefit to boaters, practicality, and value. An overview of the electronics awards are included in the BWI October newsletter and posted at NMEA’s website.