Welcome to Boating Writers International
BWI is a professional organization consisting of writers, editors, publishers, photographers, broadcasters, public relations specialists and others in the communications profession associated with the boating industry.
Members include active marine journalists across the United States, Canada and Europe; associate members in public relations roles; and supporting members, such as marine manufacturers and service companies.
BWI is Best Known For…
- The Annual Writing Contest, held in November and December, which features 17 writing and electronic media submission categories resulting in $17,000 in awards
- Panels and discussions at general membership meetings open to all for exceptional networking in the recreational boating industry during the Fort Lauderdale and Miami boat shows
- Communications efforts, including monthly newsletters, an active and resource-rich website, an on-line Writers’ Directory, annual full-member directory and engaging “LinkedIn” group focused on member issues and news
- Partnerships with leading marine manufacturer associations to recognize innovations in marine product development, where BWI members serve as judges
BWI’s Mission Statement…
The purposes of the Association are:
- To provide a professional and fraternal association for writers, editors, publishers, photographers, artists, broadcasters and others involved in recreational boating and fishing.
- To foster interest in recreational boating and fishing through articles, columns, and other documents in all media including magazines, newspapers, radio, TV, the Internet, and books.
- To encourage ethical standards in accord with the journalistic professions.
- To keep the membership informed of: changes in the craft, publications and personnel; opportunities for career advancement; important events and dates; and vital regulatory or industry issues.
- To encourage safe boating practices.
- To provide forums for members to express their opinion, inform their peers and exchange views with the marine industry.
Who Manages BWI…
The Association is managed by a nine-member volunteer Board of Directors with an Executive Director providing administrative support and member committees focused on areas of interest. Here are the current officers and directors:
Wendt’s journalistic career began in 1970 as a TV & Radio reporter, later as a newspaper writer for the Tampa Tribune and Orlando Sentinel, before spending 18 years as a news anchor for a Tampa television station. His assignments included overseas coverage ranging from war and natural disasters to the softer side of the news that included pursing the boating lifestyle. Wendt and his wife, Susan, also organize boating rendezvous for manufacturers and retail boat dealers throughout the U.S., Canada and the Bahamas.
First Vice President
Second Vice President
Board of Directors
Alan writes the Editor’s Letter, engine column, all boat tests and is the on-camera personality for Boating World Magazine as well as being a feature writer, humorist, and fishing enthusiast. He also shoots photography and videos. Alan has been a judge at the NMMA Innovations Awards contest numerous times and has been recognized by BWI seven times in the annual writing contest.
During his tenure, Alan has taken many adventurous trips in small boats:
• Cruised 1,500 miles from Seattle to Glacier Bay, Alaska in a 26-footer
• Drove a deckboat 1,000 miles from St. Louis on the Mississippi River, Ohio River, Tennessee River and Tenn/Tom to Florida
• Crossed the Gulf of Mexico over 500 miles non-stop in a 24-foot center console from the Florida Panhandle to Key West.
Heather began boating as a child on Lake Michigan, and to date, she has owned three boats. Today she lives in Colorado with her husband and 2-year-old daughter, where she’s been delighted to discover that you really can find die-hard boaters everywhere… even in the Rocky Mountains. She has been a BWI member since 2004, volunteering as a BWI Writing Contest judge five times.
He contributes, on a fairly regular freelance basis to Pacific Yachting, Sea, Southern Boating, Lakeland Boating and occasionally to ShowBoats International. He has been a seminar presenter at the Vancouver and Seattle International Boat Shows as well as at the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival. He has written two books, including “The Warm Dry Boat” and produced a number of wheelhouse log books.
He has volunteered as a BWI Innovation Awards judge at IBEX and Miami and continues as a judge for the BWI writing contest. He is also a former director and president of the Metal Boat Society.
Executive Director, Secretary and Treasurer
Committee Structure at BWI…
BWI’s standing committees include:
Contest. The Contest Committee organizes the annual writing contest, securing judges for reading and scoring, reviewing categories and definitions, publishing the contest brochure and announcing the results. The current Chair is Lindsey Johnson.
Membership. The membership Committee addresses recruiting and retention of the three levels of members, undertakes surveys, and reviews and seeks out member benefits. The current Chair is Alan Wendt.
Fundraising. The Fundraising Committee finds sponsors for BWI activities, including the annual writing contest, annual membership meetings in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale and new endeavors.
Communications. The Communications committee oversees the BWI website, social media, the monthly BWI Journal newsletter and BWI publicity. The current Chair Greg Proteau.
Product Awards. The Product Awards Committee coordinates efforts with manufacturer organizations which sponsor awards programs. The committee selects judges with appropriate expertise to be on review panels and manages on-site award efforts. The current Chair is Zuzana Prochazka.
Speakers. The Speakers Committee determines topics, secures speakers and organizes the presentations for “Newsmaker” events in Fort Lauderdale and Miami. The current Chair is Michael Sciulla.
Members with interest in serving on any of the Committees or in support roles are encouraged to contact the appropriate chairpersons through an email using our contact form.
- Writing Contest Adds Photos, Videos
November 17, 2014
- Media Events at FLIBS
October 22, 2014
- IBEX Adds Media Events
September 16, 2014
- ’14 Survey: State of Boating Journalism
May 23, 2014
- New Officers, Directors Elected
March 7, 2014
Subscribe to our blog RSS Feed
Get in touchWe will be happy to hear from you, no matter the subject.
For contacting us please use our contact page or the info below.
Phone: (847) 736-4142
Address: BWI, 108 9th St., Wilmette, IL 60091 USA